Capability Statement June 2017 - Primas Restoration - Restoring Fire Damaged Internal Bricks and Mortar, Perth, WA.
Primas Restoration was instructed by an insurance builder to restore internal bricks and
mortar that had been damaged in large domestic fire. Over 100 years old, the bricks made up an original kitchen fire place which was regarded by the owners as a key feature of building's heritage appeal.
The fire started in the kitchen adjacent to the fireplace due to the failure of an appliance. As
the appliance burnt out, heavy and toxic, soot and smoke damage coated the fireplace bricks and mortar. Structurally sound and important to the home's aesthetic, the insurance builder requested that dry ice blasting be used to restore the feature fireplace bricks and mortar. The restoration process was further complicated by the fact that new cabinetry and fixtures had been installed around the kitchen and next to the bricks and mortar to be dry ice cleaned.
Primas Restoration conducted an analysis of the bricks and mortar and concluded, given their age and construction, that they were extremely brittle and fragile. Using the least aggressive settings and blasting technique possible, Primas Restoration employed dry ice blasting to remove the soot and smoke damage from the bricks and mortar. Particular care was taken around the affected areas abutting the new cabinetry and fittings.
The soot, smoke damage and odour was efficiently and effectively removed without causing any damage to the bricks, mortar, cabinets or fittings. Given the nature of the soot and smoke contamination coupled with the fragility of the bricks and mortar, cleaning by hand or abrasive blasting methods would have led to significant damage being caused. Extremely precise and careful use of dry ice blasting successfully restored the damaged surfaces and saved a significant amount of cleaning downtime.